Monday, October 01, 2007

Maybe the mules are better transportation

I think we all occasionally get that deep down nudge we should do something right now but like me, put it off. You may remember that even before I went back to the states earlier this year that I had two flat tires. God was gracious enough to allow the flats to be in the city not on the deserted roads on the way to Lachiguiri. They were two different tires. I knew that I really needed a new set of tires. But they are even more expensive here than in the states so the thought of paying over $100 dollars each, it was easy to put it off. When will I learn to listen to that gentle nudging voice?

Anyway, Monday the 11th of September (not a good day, right)I headed to Salina Cruz to meet up with Israel, check with Professor Roberto Morales about the greenhouse canopy, and buy supplies for Lachiguiri and food for our next class. As I suspected Roberto hadn’t been able to travel back to the states because of the hurricanes but he and his wife offered to loan us a small tent covering we could use to cover the Ramada to protect us from the rain until ours arrives. By the time we loaded the tent and put together the exam for his class on Pastoral Integrity it had become too late to drive to Lachiguiri. I have been forbidden to drive after dark because of the dangers on such deserted roads after dark. Thank goodness I am learning not to be so stubborn and agreed to stay in Salina Cruz.

The next morning Israel and I went to the new low end Wall-mart called the Bodega that opened only months ago. We spent several hours shopping and finally headed toward Lachiguiri. About thirty minutes on the road we came to the edge of Tehuantepec when I heard some bad noise coming from outside. When I finally found a spot to stop I discovered the left back tire was not only flat but had a huge slash. Now the back of the jeep was loaded and we can’t open the hatch and the spare was at the bottom of all that. It was at least 110 degrees and no shade. I did have my cell phone with me but couldn’t reach anyone I knew within 40 minutes drive.

To make a long story short, it was four hours before we finally were able to find a tire (only one was found that almost fit the jeep). Now this is a town of over 40,000 people, and not even a decent used tire. I knew I would need to buy another to match when I get back to civilization. Actually I should buy three as they all need replacement. It was getting late and I still had to buy gasoline and make a trip to the bank so I could replace the money I just spent. It was now five O’clock. Do I turn around again or go on. I chose to keep going. I did have peace.

There were still a lot of hazards on the road as they had shut off part of the new highway because there was fresh wet asphalt and they didn’t want anyone driving on that section. The old road was full of ruts from the recent storms we'd had so the going was rough. One section my wheels spun and I had to gun it to keep from getting stuck. I was quite relieved when we got to the pass and dropped into Lachiguiri.
I was exhausted and yes a little stressed. We unloaded only the food that had to be refrigerated. I dropped into bed very early.

The next morning I was still very tired but as I dug into my devotions for that day I came across the very familiar story of Jesus talking with the Samaritan woman at the well and saw something I hadn’t seen before. Why was Jesus sitting there at the well? His disciples had left him there while they went into the village to buy food. Why had he stayed behind? Oh for sure to be there for this Samaritan woman, right? True God many times uses us at a particular place at a given time. But, he was actually there because as the scripture says, ” Jesus therefore, being wearied with his journey, sat thus on the well” John 4:6. Ahh, yes He too became tired traveling. So it was OK that I needed to sit back and rest. Even wearied Jesus took the time to minister to one in need. Oh Lord, help me to be ready to be used even in my weariness.

After our week of classes we headed back down the mountain to civilization. Our friend Paco in Juchitan recommended a business friend for new tires. The one we had bought earlier was a rip off but it got us to Lachiguiri and back. Quite an expensive lesson. Anyway I had to buy four new tires. With a total cost of $400 dollars on top of the $100 for the first one. Well at least we also have a good spare. Wasn't exactly in our budget but a necessity. A Christian mechanic came to Lachiguiri and fixed the hatch so it now opens. Grin

God has protected us so many times on the road. But I can do without those infernal episodes.

Sheri

No comments: